Believe it or not, all work and no play isn’t the fastest way to succeed! We invite you to participate in a more balanced and effective approach where work is play! By creating your very own board came, you can learn how to actualize your ideas using the makerspace and the other tools at your disposal – all while having fun!
The Carroll Technology Council in partnership with Ting Makerspace: Westminster and Carroll County Public Library invite youth (11-15 years) and adults to participate in a Board Game Maker Challenge. Design and create your own board game using makerspace technology and tools. Makerspace equipment trainings and game development check-ins will guide you through the design and fabrication process, culminating in the Carroll Technology Council’s Board Game Night on November 30th where attendees will play your game.
If you are interested in participating in the Challenge please fill out the form below to officially register. Take a copy of your receipt to the Ting Makerspace: Westminser or Exploration Point located at the Eldersburg Branch of the Carroll County Public Library.
Some of the Details
Challenge: Use makerspace technology to design and create a tabletop game and accompanying rulebook to be judged November 29 & 30. Prizes will be awarded for the top scoring games in both youth (11-15) and adult (16+) categories.
The entry fee for this design challenge is $20. This includes:
- Unlimited access to Ting Makerspace and Exploration Point to work on your game throughout the challenge
- Access to Makerspace equipment trainings and other learning opportunities
- Helpful hints and ongoing feedback as you design and build your game
- Admission to the Unplug and Connect game night on November 30th, where you will present your game
- Entry fee does not include the cost of materials used to create your game.
Important Dates Mark Your Calendar:
- September 26, 2018: Maker Challenge opens for registration
- October 2, 2018: Kick-off and info session at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 9, 2018: CNC Router Training at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 11, 2018: Hobby Laser Engraver Training at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 13, 2018: 3-D Printer Training at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 16, 2018: Cricut Maker Training at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 25, 2018: Maker check-in (bring and share your game prototype for feedback) at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- October 31, 2018: Maker Challenge registration closes
- November 6, 2018: Maker check-in (bring and share your game prototype for feedback) at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- November 13, 2018: Test the play-ability of your game at Ting Makerspace: Westminster
- November 29, 2018: Present your game and pitch at Ting Makerspace: Westminster (Mandatory event)
- November 30, 2018: Challenge complete! Play your game at Unplug & Connect Board Game Night (Mandatory event)
If you are interested in participating in the Challenge please fill out the form below to register. Take a copy of your receipt to the Ting Makerspace: Westminster or Exploration Point located in the Eldersburg Branch of the Carroll County Public Library.